On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:24:21 +0200
Issac Goldstand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Frank Wiles wrote:
> >    I believe this is how Sophos' PureMessage installs itself.
> > Basically putting your own Perl binary and module paths in
> >    say /usr/local/myapp/bin/perl.  This is probably the best way to
> >    ensure you have full control over everything about your
> > application.
>
> I actually imagine that Sophos does it exactly the same way
> ActivePerl does it; until recently they owned ActiveState, and thus
> had access to the ActivePerl setup scripts :-)

   hehe good point! :)

> FYI, it's not just @INC and binary - there are also changes needed,
> for example, in Config.pm, or you won't be able to install new
> modules to your new perl site...

   What I meant was build a custom Perl with say
   --prefix=/usr/local/myapp, install all of your modules with it, and
   reproduce the entire structure with your packager ( for example
   RPM ).

   Most apps that are after this sort of setup aren't interested in
   allowing the user to install new modules, they specifically want
   to control the entire environment to avoid version bugs and
   support issues.

   Frank Wiles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.wiles.org