All,

  When building mod_perl 1.29 on Solaris 9 via apxs, the apaci/perl_config
script returns the value 'cc' as the linker because Apache::ExtUtils calls
basename on the value contained in $Config{ld}, which in my case is
/usr/local/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc.  Truncating this to just 'cc' results in
failure when linking libperl.so because neither /usr/local/opt/SUNWspro/bin
nor the (nonfunctional placeholder) /usr/ucb/cc are in my $PATH.

  Yes, I could just put /usr/local/opt/SUNWspro/bin in my $PATH, but I feel
that if I have explicitly configured the full path to a linker then
the build procedure should not try to second-guess me.  What if I was
cross-compiling with a compiler and linker buried down some long, wonky
pathname that I don't want at the head of $PATH?  What if I want this
build procedure to be reproducible by people other than myself without
requiring them to modify their environment?  Modifying user-specified
configuration options is a bad idea for these reasons, among others.

  This behaviour appears to have been introduced in a CVS commit on
23 May 2002 to handle HPUX with bleedperl, but the patch also includes
code to truncate the linker path on all other platforms.  Was this done
for a specific reason?

Please Cc: all replies to me, as I am not subscribed to the list.

Cheers,
  Ray Link
  Research Programmer
  Carnegie Mellon School of Computer Science