Alex Beamish wrote:
I'll deal with multiple documents with some combination of stale timers and LRU slots, but that's not really what I see as the most complicated or difficult part of this problem. For this particular application, my inactivity timer will probably by 10-15 minutes, and I'll expect to have 6-8 documents open at any given time, so it shouldn't be a big drain on memory. And I will probably be able to set something up that signals that a document has been expired as well .. (this is just me thinking out loud) ..

Thanks for your feedback .. I think named pipes is my next focus.

Sockets will be the way to go on this, rather than pipes. I don't want to say pipes are a dead technology, but by using sockets, you can move your gs application off your web servers (if load ever gets that high) without having to rewrite any code, something that isn't possible with a pipe (not without netcat, anyway).

There's probably a good reason for it, but why not just pre-generate all of your page images? Even when new documents are added, a cron could be setup to come along (once a minute even) and convert those PDFs to images. Are these PDFs dynamically generated?

Rob