Thanks for all the advice guys - due to pressure from the customer I'm going to concentrate on optimising the app and then look into the server optimisations. It's suffering from inner-platform-effect at the moment (http://thedailywtf.com/forums/69415/ShowPost.aspx ) so the DB is doing way too much work and can't cache efficiently.

cheers
John