Hi folks,

Please help with a problem I'm experiencing regarding performance. Setup is a VPS running Debian (Ubuntu server) on AMD64. In some fairly crude timing loops of a Perl script run from the command line, the AMD64 out-performs my other platforms, so I think the Perl part is OK. But Apache/mod_perl performance is pretty abysmal.

I installed from a standard httpd-2.2.3.tar.gz from an Apache.org mirror site, and Bundle::Apache2 from CPAN - as far as I know neither is optimised for AMD64. The Debian Apache-Perl package is version 1.3 I think, and I would rather use the more recent version 2's so I avoided it. Is my poor Apache/mod_perl (and mediocre mod_cgi performance) likely to be related to the 64-bit architecture?

I'm not too familiar with Debian or 64-bit systems, having previously only setup 32-bit Win32 & Mandrake platforms using the XAMPP package (which won't run on the Debian 64-bit platform), so any help would be much appreciated.
--
Richard Jones
Leeds, UK