Asim,

Apache is the name of the web server. There are 2 main versions -
Apache 1.x (1.3) and Apache 2.x. Obviously, the 2.x version is newer
and has more features, a cleaner configuration interface, etc. The
source code for the Apache webserver is available from the
http://httpd.apache.org/ website. You can also find a lot of
documentation on how to compile and configure the webserver.

Perl is a programming language which you need to learn before you
start working in mod_perl. There are a dozen ways to learn Perl. There
are a lot of resources available on line. You can also just buy a book
and learn it the good old way. Programming Perl (aka the camel book)
is generally considered to be a very good book. I highly recommend you
get it if you are planning to do Perl work.

mod_perl is an Apache module that allows you to have your Perl
programs be compiled and cached within the Apache server. The mod_perl
approach increases the memory footprint of the Apache server but
allows your Perl programs to run much faster (vs CGI). There is a lot
more to it, but you need to read the documentation to get a better
understanding of how things fit together. http://perl.apache.org/ is
the official website for mod_perl and
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html is a good
place to start learning mod_perl. Please read the documentation. You
can learn a lot from it.

Good luck.

Arsh