Yes, back to this, I'm afraid.

The good news is, things are working (kind of). the bad news is ........... to
me, it isn't intuative.

Why am I unable to pass notes to the sub process? I can pass notes back from
the sub process!!

On returning from the sub process, I've lost most of my %ENV configuration. The
only variables remaining are the vars I've set up in httpd.conf and
$ENV{MOD_PERL}.

To get around this problem, I backed up %ENV to %ENV_BKUP and restored upon
returning. %ENV = %ENV_BKUP (thus, overwring the vars that remained in %ENV
after the sub request).

This introduced a bug. On a fresh restart, this little hack worked upon making
a sub request. But, when a child was hit for a second time it had lost the
$ENV{MOD_PERL| and was being reated as a CGI request.

To get around this, I deleted $ENV_BKUP{MOD_PERL} and  other vars of mine from
%ENV_BKUP and then whacked the remaining stuff over to %ENV (thus preserving
$ENV{MOD_PERL} etc.) .

That works. but, a hack is a hack is a hack and I feel it's shouldn;t be
necessary.

I know the docs say that a limited environment is passed to the sub process,
but the main thing out of this that I don;t understand is ... why overwriting
$ENV{MOD_PERL},  and the remaining %ENV vars with the same values from
%ENV_BKUP  ..... fcuks everything up.

I know this is long winded but it's all true ;)

Any pointers would be great.

-Ants

your freeaccount today.