On 25 Apr 2007 at 12:18, Carl Johnstone wrote:

> > I tried to the package manager to install mod_perl and it offers me
> > mod_perl-1.99-16.4
> >
> > I thought that Apache 2 required MP2. Am I mistaken? I am not sure
> > what the best route to take is, even my httpd server version is a bit
> > old. Do I throw out the httpd server and start from scratch, possibly
> > confusing my package manager? Any thoughts?
>
> mod_perl 1.99 was the testing/pre-release version. So you've kind-of got
> mp2.
>
> Unfortunately there were major changes fairly late on in the pre-release
> process so the version RedHat ship with RHEL4 isn't compatible with the
> final release of mp2.
>
> RHEL5 is out and from memory it has a proper version of MP2 (somebody like
> to confirm whether you can just upgrade from 4 to 5?)

RHEL 5 has a http 2.2.3-6 release on and mod_perl 2.0.26 from the
listing I have seen a rhn.

> Alternatively you'll have to compile from source. If you are compiling from
> source, then many people on here will suggest that for best performance you
> really need to compile a separate version of perl itself as the Redhat is
> multi-thread by default and offers relatively poor performance.

i began to go down this route. I used rpm to remove the existing http
and mod_perl (plus a host of other dependencies) and when I tried to
install the current version from source and found my compiler was not
supported.

I want to upgrade to RH5 as I think it will be safer in the long
term. I just hope that the hardware HBA will work once I re-install.
The HBA i have installed are apparently only supported on RH{3,4}.
HoHum. Better get downloading.

Thanx,
Dp.