I'm having a very frustrating time trying to get a database connection from
my mod_perl script using DBD::Informix.

System:
Redhat Enterprise Linux 4
IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 10.00.UC3
Apache 2.0.52-28
mod_perl-2.0.1
DBI-1.40
DBD-Informix-2005.2-1

Stripped right down, my script now looks like this -
  use Data::Dumper;
  use DBD::Informix;
  my $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Informix:$database", "$username",
"$password");
  print "Database connection = $dbh<br>";
  print "Error = $DBI::err, $DBI::errstr<br>";

And the results I get from running it are -
  Database connection =
  Error = -25560, SQL: -25560: Environment variable INFORMIXSERVER must be
set.

If I run the same script from the command line (rather than through
mod_perl) I get a database connection quite happily.
I've tried setting all the environment variables in the httpd.conf file -
  SetEnv INFORMIXDIR /usr/informix
  SetEnv INFORMIXSERVER bktester
  SetEnv HOSTNAME bktester
  SetEnv ONCONFIG onconfig
  SetEnv INFORMIXC i386-glibc20-linux-gcc
  SetEnv DBCENTURY C
which doesn't seem to change anything...
If I print out contents of %ENV immediately prior to trying to connect, all
the environment variables are there and correct, but I still get the same
error.

I am now completely at a loss...any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jay