[sorry my email client dropped the list from the thread, my bad]

> From: "Fred Moyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:26 am, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
>>> From: "Geoffrey Young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>> I have already compiled perl with -fpic and then with -fPIC, but it
>>> still
>>> gives the same error when compiling mod_perl.
>>
>> Are you sure that you are compiling mod_perl with the fpic enabled perl
>> and not your system perl?  I ran into this exact same issue on x86_64
>> and
>> fpic worked here.  Its been a while since I did that but I don't
>> remember
>> there being any other gotchas.
>
> I did:
>
> $ which perl
> /usr/bin/perl
> $ ls -l /usr/bin/perl

so you replaced your system perl with a version that you compiled, you
probably want to avoid doing that since other programs on your system
might depend on that specific compilation.  Instead use -DPrefix to
specify a different location for the new perl you compile, and then
/path/to/my/perl Makefile.PL to compile mod_perl

> And it shown a link to the perl I've just installed using -fPIC.
>
> And I've starting compiling mod_perl using:
>
> $ perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs
>
> Then on "make" it gave that error.

Getting a good build of perl under x86_64 can be a bit tricky, when you
compile perl you need to make sure that the default directories to search
includes /usr/lib64.  It took me a few tries to get it right, I posted my
experiences here -  http://use.perl.org/~Phred/journal/31581

Here's another good link I found on the subject -
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/200505.mbox/[EMAIL
PROTECTED]

I'd say take another few tries at it and make sure to pay extra close
attention to the default search path when compiling perl - it can be done!