Perrin Harkins wrote:

> It definitely could be the cause of issues with a C library using
> sockets that isn't written to be threadsafe.  The general reason to
> use prefork though is the more efficient use of memory due to
> copy-on-write.

I'm familiar with copy-on-write.  Could you elaborate?  From httpd's
perspective, those same gains are true of worker as well.

One of my more favorite features of the pre-SMS apr pools was my patch
to permit "locking" a pool read-only.  This let us see that folks were
not jinxing the copy on write behavior of the process and config pools
in httpd by writing back data (and breaking the read-only paged copy).

Of course two iterations later, my hacks were ripped from APR.  Another
round-tuit to restore that behavior :)

Bill