This might be a result of what was mentioned before about possible problems using the binaries from http://www.apachelounge.com/download/ (which is compiled with VC++ 2005) with ActivePerl and ActivePerl-compatible ppm packages (which are compiled with VC++ 6). Mixing these can lead to conflicts, as discussed at, eg,
 http://search.cpan.org/src/SHAY/Win32-UTCFileTime-1.46/INSTALL
You're probably right. The only saving grace is the Apache binaries seem to be nicely decoupled from the modperl/ libapreq2 code. I have not had much issues marrying them together. The only thorn I'm dealing with is that spaces in directory names is not good.

But I can live with that.