Hmm, that is exactly what's on http://perl.apache.org/.

> Are there any simple sample mod_perl based applications available on the
> net?

Yes.  There are many on CPAN (try searching for Apache) and there are
some lists in the documentation:
http://perl.apache.org/products/products.html
http://perl.apache.org/products/app-server.html

> Any info on performace changes due to the use of mod_perl etc.

There's plenty of performance-related information on the site too.

If you're having trouble following this documentation and need a
gentler introduction, you should try one of the books:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/offsite/books.html

Most of the information in the mod_perl 1 books is still relevant on
the current release, especially if you use a layer like Mason or
ModPerl::Registry.

- Perrin