William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

I'd especially appreciate any input from Tom w.r.t. the ease of adding
APR_NO_FILE flags to apr_procattr_io_set() members whom are not allowed
to have a handle at all, eg. how this works out with mod_fcgid and similar
modules.

The proposed patch works correctly with mod_fcgid v2.2 and with mod_fastcgi (the 9/23/2007 snapshot).

Both modules needed to be changed (of course) to accommodate the new APR_NO_FILE requirement. The change was straightforward.

I tested with the Apache 2.2.6-r2 source + your patch:
   http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/apr-1.2-win32-nohandle.patch
on Win2k. Both VC6 and VC8 builds.

Also added comments to httpd bug 43329. I'll ping both sets of developers to see when they can make the necessary changes to their modules.

-tom-