Carl Johnstone wrote:
Looks like somebody has managed to subscribe one of the PayPal support email addresses to the list...

No - a zombie somewhere sent an email with 'from' address [EMAIL PROTECTED], 'to' address [EMAIL PROTECTED], a subject line from the modperl list and with the message "my google alert sent this to me...." and a possibly disguised link (there's no rhyme or reason to spam links sometimes).

Paypal's ever helpful customer services then replied to the forged 'from' - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - saying "sorry you didn't supply enough information".

Nothing to do with the modperl list except that an email address, subject and a link were harvested from someone's PC by malware or one of the public archives by a spider. I run a small ISP and we see this a lot - you should hear the words people say when they're told spam might use their email address but be nothing to do with them!

John