On Nov 8, 2007, at 1:40 PM, John ORourke wrote:

Pound (http://www.apsis.ch/pound/index_html) is light-weight, easy to
I can disagree -- nginx does everything that pound does, plus will handle your vanilla

FLAME WAR!!!1!1!

well its not meant to flame... your options are this:

        a)
                pound
                apache-vanilla
                apache-mod_perl

        or

        b1)
                apache-vanilla+proxy
                apache-mod_perl

        b2)
                nginx
                apache-mod_perl

b2 has the least preferences

if you're serving static content, go with nginx. if you're not, go with pound. differnet tool for different jobs.

Seriously though, it looks as though there are 5-10 good front end server options which support the following to various degrees:

- reverse proxy
- caching
- load balancing
- static file serving

There is no clear choice since our setups range from single low spec boxes to multi-server solutions with load balancing and big fat caches.

Does anyone fancy doing an unbiased comparison for perl.apache.org?

I'd suggest another approach:

lets all opt-in (offlist?) to state what our favorite front-end it, and our experience on it in those 4 areas. then we'll have the people of each app agree on their config and description - then a central person will coordinate. maybe even do a quick bench?

i *could* write something, but I'd spend 1/2 the paper shittalking lighttpd for my own experience having memory leaks / process growth; i'm decent with squid, but awful with pound. i'm pretty positive everyone else here will be similar but to different apps.