On 13/11/2007, Philippe M. Chiasson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The conceptual problem with this approach is that the digest(password)
> effectively becomes the user's password.
>
> If you steal digest(password), you can impersonnate the user, without
> ever knowing password. So, somebody stealing a dump of your user database
> can still impersonnate all your users.

> Then a malicious attacker that stole a bunch of digest(password) can
> pre-calculate a single 'challenge' and pre-generate a single
> challenge/digest(digest(password) . challenge))
> pair per account he/she stole. Then can use them to login straight at the 3
> step
> of the authentication process with very little work on his/her side.

Something doesn't sound right with this assessment. Stealing the
digest(password) wouldn't let you in on a different connection because
you'd be using a different seed on a different connection...

To me it sounds like he's saying this:
Server: Hi, there!
Client: Hi, I'm a user
Server: Okay, who are you and what would your password be if encrypted
off of 1234567?
Client: My username is 'foo' and my password, encrypted like you said,
would be '[EMAIL PROTECTED](F HBUO'
(Secretly, this is stolen by a packet sniiffer)
(Server looks up foo's password and encrypts it off of 0987654 and
gets '[EMAIL PROTECTED](F HBUO')
Server: You're right! Welcome in!

Server: Hi There!
Hacker: Hi, I'm a user
Server: Okay, who are you and what would your password be if encrypted
off of 0987654?
Hacker: My username is 'foo' and my password, encrypted like you said,
would be '[EMAIL PROTECTED](F HBUO'
(Server looks up foo's password and encrypts it off of 0987654 and
gets '[EMAIL PROTECTED]')
Server: Nope, foo's password, encrypted the way I said, does not come
out to '[EMAIL PROTECTED](F HBUO.' Bugger off, wannabe leet hacksore.

--
Dodger