On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Jan Dubois wrote:

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
[ ... ]
My instinct, with 2008 adding the new SDK features for apr such as
multicast group filtering, and the continued availability of a 2008
'express'/'lite' free version, is to take httpd 2.4 (3.0?) binaries
for apache httpd to this 2008 release. Yes, probably retain either
.dsp files, or a makefile structure which allows folks to build to
anything from VC6 to a 'plain SDK' (it now includes the compilers
and tools), but for binaries, this will become foobar for folks who
use ActiveState.

Why? What problems are going to happen?

The major class of problems happens that there is one posix files
table per linked clib, one memory pool per linked clib, etc. When
resources cross from one to the next, that's the crux of the issue.

Sure, but how do resources cross?  Isn't this always a module bug
to start with?  Note that I have virtually no experience with the
particular issues you may see with Perl inside Apache, but I've
worked on many Perl embedding scenarios, putting Perl into COM
controls, Windows services and .NET applications, so I'm well aware
of the general issues, and how to solve them/work around them.

Therefore I'm genuinely interested to learn where the problems are
if you build say Apache with VS2008, Perl with VC6 and e.g. mod_perl
with VC7.  I would expect this to work just fine if we ignore the
address space wasted by essentially unused surplus clibs.

I'm not sure if this is a clean example, but there was
a report:
  http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl&m=119140365320503&w=2
where mod_perl and Apache (compiled with VC8) did not
work with ActivePerl (VC6), whereas switching to a mod_perl
compiled with VC6 with the same Apache and Perl
did (seemingly) work.

Also, Steve Hay reports that his Win32::SharedFileOpen
module:
 http://search.cpan.org/src/SHAY/Win32-SharedFileOpen-3.36/INSTALL
and his Win32::UTCFileTime module:
 http://search.cpan.org/src/SHAY/Win32-UTCFileTime-1.46/INSTALL
will only work with ActivePerl when they're compiled with
VC6.

--
best regards,
Randy