Using the debian-stable-provided version of mod_perl, I've got an app that's
working fine however the way it was configured meant we were causing an
early load of perl during the configuration phase of apache.

Just curious -- why are you trying to avoid loading perl during this phase?

Faster restarts in our development environment.

perl gets loaded twice, once to test the config then again to actually start. From my observations apache even does this if you run apachectl stop!

We don't need the additional test in config as any problems will appear in the error log and the devs can check there.

Carl