Good suggestion. It looks like that works for my simple open() example
but unfortunately it doesn't work when reading from sockets. What I am
trying to do is tell Perl that all incoming POST data is UTF-8 encoded
and flag it as such. The $r->read() call unfortunately doesn't abide
by the open pragma.

Looks like I might have to go dig through source :-)

Thanks again for the help.