Did you remember to "use Apache2::ServerUtil"? It's probably obvious, but it's easy to miss sometimes - mod_perl doesn't pull in all the APIs automatically, just what you specify (to avoid memory overhead for things you don't use).

Yes - I have already used Apache2::ServerUtil - other funcs are working.

(though this was the problem for APR::SocketAddr, $r->connection->local_addr->port() is now working. I am used to objects having loaded their packages, these are not real objects, despite the -> syntax)

I also note from Modperl2 users Guide' that things like uid / guid (does that mean group_id and user_id too?) are platform specific and so have to be coded by modperl users.

Does Apache2::Status (http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache2/Status.html)
give you want you want?

have it installed, will check it out...