fof wrote:
>  I am going to try removing the PerlAuthenHandler and simply secure the
> directory with a htpasswd thus taking mod_perl out of the picture. This
> will tell me if some Apache setting in the main server config is being
> inherited by my virtual host and stuffing things up and if it is a
> mod_perl problem.
>
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)
>
> Let ya know how I go.

ok just to let you know I have tried my above experiment (taking mod_perl
authentication out of the equation) and everything works as one would
expect. So this means it is related to mod_perl's behavior or how I am using
it.

I have had problems before when mod_perl seems to override various behavior
in Apache. For example when using a PerlAuthenHandler it seemed to wipe out
the standard DirectoryIndex directive which the main webserver had set to
index.htm etc. This caused a problem when visiting the root directory as it
would not serve up the default index page. To fix this I had to add a
PerlFixUpHandler which restored some default settings.

Is this a similar problem/issue?