On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Perrin Harkins wrote:

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 9:48 AM, Jeff Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But I have a question, does nginx support for session-keeping?
A user's request, should go always to the same original backend server.
Otherwise the user's session will get lost.

I would advise you not to do this.  It's a non-scalable design.  If
you need to keep session data beyond what will fit in an encrypted
cookie, you'd be better off storing it in a shared database.  That
way, if you lose one of your web servers, the session won't get lost.

I would consider using a shared memory solution to save traffic too
from the database server (consider a solution based on memcached??)...
I would be very careful about going back to a single machine for each request - due to traffic profiles (when a user makes a request there
is a "spike" of requests from the session - all these then get handled
by one machine and not load balanced)...

--
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.