Quoting Perrin Harkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On a closer look, you're not.  You are keeping around your $foo
> closure variable in handler(), as well as putting it in a global.
> It's not obvious why that causes this problem.  If you want to
> determine whether Apache::DBI is malfunctioning for you in some way,
> I'd suggest just removing it and seeing if the problem goes away.
> Your test app should work fine without it.

Removing Apache::DBI makes the errors go away. Using two different connection
strings for my initial connection during startup and the subsequent connections
in the handler() method also works. So everything looks like the connection made
during startup is indeed re-used somehow, although Apache::DBI correctly reports
that it won't cache it. Maybe now's the time to file a bug report ...

--Tobias