I dont have a good answer. But editing the Makefile may hide the real
error .. which error appears when not editing the Makefile, and Google
with that error, no hints? what happens if -Dloclibpth="/usr/lib64"
is omitted? and of curiosity, what was the reason for going back to
perl 5.8 from 5.10? (i feel 5.10 is less stable than 5.8, but doesnt
get in my way).

Niels

OK, I tried this:

sh ./Configure -de -Accflags='-fPIC' -Dprefix=/usr/local \
-Dloclibpth="/usr/lib64"

one peculiarity of my make, gnu make 3.81, is I have to edit the makefile to comment out all the lines like:
av$(OBJ_EXT): <command-line>
or it won't work.

So make works, make test works, but gives various warnings like:
makefile:612: target `lib/auto/Encode/Byte/Byte.a' given more than once in the same rule. makefile:612: target `lib/auto/Encode/CN/CN.a' given more than once in the same rule.

After installing, if I try and run a CGI script with /usr/local/bin/perl, from the command line, I get: Attempt to free unreferenced scalar: SV 0xda2bf0 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/HTML/Template.pm line 916. Weak references are not implemented in the version of perl at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/CGI/FormBuilder.pm line 15

This script ran yesterday with the Perl 5.8.8 I had build all the modules with. Trying to run perl -MCPAN also seg faults.

What gives? -fPIC seems to make the interpreter useless, but I can't build mod_perl without it.

Dan