Torsten Foertsch wrote:
On Wed 17 Sep 2008, grsvarma019 wrote:
But , i couldn't find how to extract the protocol(http or https )

There are Apache2::ModSSL and Apache::SSLLookup on CPAN in case you need that information in a request phase prior to the ResponseHandler.
I had the same problem but the machine serving the request had a reverse proxy in front of it. I used the following to inject a header on the proxy:

       SetEnv SCHEME http
       SetEnv HOST localhost
       RewriteEngine on
       RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
       RewriteRule ^(.*) $1 [E=SCHEME:https]
       RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(.*)$
       RewriteRule ^(.*) $1 [PT,E=HOST:%1]
       RequestHeader set X-Absolute-URI %{SCHEME}e://%{HOST}e

That gives you a header containing the protocol and host.

hth,
John