Vegard Vesterheim wrote:

 CustomLog .... env=!is_googlebot

See also: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_setenvif.html
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html#customlog

 - Vegard V -

That looks just too easy to be true..
But I believe you of course, and Thanks.

It's just that I have seen this same kind of question pop up regularly on forums, and I don't remember ever seeing the simple suggestion above.
As a matter of fact, the original poster on the other forum just got the same answer from someone else.

I do remain interested in a possible mod_perl solution though, because I already have some add-on Apache/perl handler modules where such a functionality would come in handy sometimes.

I have a suspicion that I might have to look at the ServerRec or something like that, and make the change in the configuration on-the-fly...