please see below

On Nov 12, 2008, at 10:07 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
Fred Moyer wrote:
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:30 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
1. Problem Description:

1.1 attempting to static-build mod_perl 2.0.4 and apache 2.2.10, is the following warning right at the end of the Makefile.PL output worrisome?

    [warning] mod_perl static library will be built as mod_perl.a

Not worrisome, mod_perl just did not build. Can you build as a shared
object rather than compiling it into Apache statically?
perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/path/to/my/httpd2/bin/apxs

Static hasn't worked for a long time in 2.x though it is on the infinite
list; however, the performance reasons for doing it statically are not
really an issue in 2.x
--
---------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Philip M. Gollucci ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) c: 703.336.9354

Fred: mod_perl did not build YET? (This warning is only at the end of the
Makefile.PL output, and it is phrased in terms of how it WILL be built.)
Or am I "on the wrong page" in saying this?

Of course I could build statically, but (old saying) that's not the swamp
I set out to drain.

Philip: but I liked the idea of a static build? Not just for operational performance, but for startup performance and perhaps for some possible better
integration of the symbol tables for debugging?  Are you saying that the
1.2 error cannot be worked around, and I should just give up on the static
build idea?  Like I had to on perl SSI's (<!--#perl...) a while back?

Would anyone like it if I hacked through problems with building statically,
and contributed the changes?

And can anyone please answer 1.3 even if it would be better sent to the
main Apache side? "The pain of subscribing to mailing lists is proportional
to the square of the number of lists."

1.3 is --enable-debug still valid as an Apache 2.2.10 configure option, or is it completely superceded by --enable-maintainer-mode? The Apache docs no longer mention --enable-debug. Compiling some of the ssl stuff (in an
    Apache build without mod-perl) made warnings about prototypes...

Thanks,
Craig MacKenna
www.animalhead.com