--- On Fri, 1/23/09, David Nicol <davidni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the idea was floated on the anti-spam research group mailing list
> recently (dec 08) of the possibility of MUA software to offer an
> "unsubscribe" button when displaying a message with mailing list
> headers, possibly in place of the existing "This is spam!" button if
> any.
>
> I filed a feature request with Gmail, and now I'm repeating the idea
> in this forum; perhaps it will reach and take root in the minds of
> mod-perl-based webmail system authors.

How will the webmail client distinguish between messages from mailing
lists that you're actually subscribed too and fake ones which are just
simply phishing for active email addresses?

I'm pretty sure that this "feature" will achieve the latter, and make
the spam list market more viable than it currently is, and thus be
counter-productive.

Phil