Patrick Galbraith wrote:
Hi all,

I'm in the midst of writing a book currently, and am covering the
sections in the book on mod_perl and Apache.

In previous texts for Apache 1.3, it
would show 11 phases. In the document on
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/developer/request.html, it shows 4
primary phases, each having their own steps within.

Is it accurate to say then that for Apache 2.2, there are four request
processing phases in the request cycle? How does this reconcile with
1.3 having 11? Are the new phases just a different way of grouping steps the used
to be considered their own phases?

The 11 phases in 1.3 map to all the steps within the 4 major phases. I think there are new ones added in 2.0, namely map_to_storage. For the mod_perl angle on phases, I'd suggest having a look at this section of the documentation:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/index.html

specifically, the part titled 'Part V: mod_perl Handlers', including:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/server.html
and
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html

If you're talking about Apache though, not mod_perl, then you'd probably be better off to ask the one of the httpd lists.

Adam