I realize that this response is months late, but this thread is only
now coming to my attention due to another recent response. Still, I
think you may have been trying to solve the wrong problem. Perhaps I'm
missing a detail or two here, but you are running mod_perl. Perl
processes live on beyond the time to service one request. Why don't
you set up a PerlChildInitHandler that establishes your database
connection and holds on to it?

$dbh = DBI->connect_cached($data_source, $username, $password, \%attr)
          or die $DBI::errstr;

As long as you are not running so many severs / children that you
saturate you DB connection limit, you should be fine.

Ivan