I've searched the web and this mailing list for the answer to this
question.  I've found several places that seem to hover around the
answer (including a PDF of chapter 16 of the mod_perl cookbook) but I
can't figure out how to implement it in my code.  BTW, I don't own the
mod_perl cookbook and am desperately short on money right now, so
buying the book would be a difficult next step.

I'm writing a custom log which will do all sorts of fun, fancy stuff
for me.  I had little difficulty getting the URI, status and other
request information and storing it into a database.  Here's my log
handler so far - it just grabs some information and puts it into a
database, I haven't gotten to the fancy parts yet:

    package MyProject::ModPerl::Log;
    use strict;
    use warnings;
    use Apache2::RequestRec ();
    use Apache2::Connection ();
    use Apache2::Const -compile => qw(OK DECLINED);
    use DBI;

    # handler
    sub handler {
        my ($r) = @_;
        my ($dbh, $sql);

        # open database
        $dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:SQLite:dbname=/my/log/path") or die
$DBI::errstr;

        # insert record
        $sql = "insert into events (uri, status, msg) values (?, ?, ?)";
        $dbh->do($sql, undef, $r->uri, $r->status, 'STDERR here');
        $DBI::err and die "db err: $DBI::err: $DBI::errstr";

        # return OK
        return Apache2::Const::OK;
    }

    # return true
    1;

So far so good, it adds the information I've got to the database quite
nicely.  But the one more thing I really need is all the STDERR that
was generated while processing the request.  Recipe 6.10 provides a
method for outputting STDERR to a different file but I'd like to grab
it and put it into my database.

What would be a good way to do this?  Thanks for any help!

Tom