Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> It seems that Perl is beaten by this new atitude, and the fact that it
> is a better language doesn't help too much.
Haven't we all learnt from Bush, that the best people don't always make
President?

> If the program is hard enough protected, most users won't be able to get
> its clear source code, so we can say that it is protected.
> But if we protect it by just a licence, nothing would stop the user to
> sell it to someone else (theoreticly, of course, not that this thing
> really happends).
I think we should just agree that there are 2 styles of businesses:
1. Linux-style: devalue the privacy of your source code. Let people buy
your product because of the code quality, and the ability to make minor
changes on your own responsibility.

2. Windows-style: your code is mystery, but your program works anyway
and your support is good. And that's good enough for people to buy your
product.

Using Perl doesn't mean we must adopt Linux-style biz. There are other
environments, which thrive on Windows-style biz. Luckily Perl does
support this to some extend.