On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Cosimo Streppone <cos...@streppone.it> wrote:
> The problem that we had, this was in November last year,
> was that all the backends were at load 15.0-20.0 (normal was ~3-4)
> after an update to the application.

That's pretty rare (hitting a CPU problem), and it sounds severe
enough that your idea of automated stress tests before deployment
would work for catching it.

> While I try to get there, I thought it might be useful to dedicate 1 of the
> live backends to this "live profiling". Even if the application now is
> not having any problem, even at peak times.

Sure, give it a shot.  My suggestion would be to not collect too much
data before analyzing it though, at least at first.  Devel::NYTProf
can take a really long time if you feed it more than a few requests at
once.

- Perrin