On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Clinton Gormley<cl...@traveljury.com> wrote:
> Dear Igor
>
> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 07:40 -0500, Igor Chudov wrote:
>
>> After looking at this mailing list and asking a question about
>> segfaults, and looking at recent posts, I am beginning to become
>> concerned that mod_perl is a dead project. I would like to hear
>> whether it has a long term future, which I hope is the case, as I do
>> not want to rewrite 70,000+ lines of code!
>
> It is most certainly not a dead project.  While there doesn't appear to
> be lots of ongoing development, the reason for that is that mod_perl is
> pretty much a done project.

There is ongoing development, but most of it has been focused on
bugfixes and long term stability.  I wouldn't say that it is done, but
2.0.5 will represent the next stable release.  I was talking with some
of the developers at ApacheCon last year, and there are some ways that
we may explore to make mod_perl more modular and easier to use.

If you need the latest and greatest, you can always pull from
subversion.  The trunk is very stable right now and contains some
fixes that will be released with 2.0.5.

I've been working on Apache::Bootstrap to minimize the pain of
releasing updates to the Apache::* modules, and can always use help
testing there.

Also, there are usually active mod_perl developers on the #modperl irc
channel at irc.perl.org, feel free to drop in and say hi!