Malloy - thanks for responding.

Unfortunately using restart_count does not address my issue.

In the http.conf I have the following:
PerlConfigRequire   conf/startup.pl

My test startup.pl has this:

    our $INPUT;
    print STDERR "Input:";
    $INPUT = <STDIN>;
    print STDERR "you entered $INPUT";

My issue is during the first start everything works as I need it to, "Input:" is printed out to the terminal and the script waits for input.

The problem is for the automatic restart everything is tied to the log files.
Everything printed to STDERR goes into the logs and a user cannot enter any input.

For the restart how can I print messages and prompt for input?

Thanks.

---Alex

Quoting Malloy <jackwor...@gmail.com>:

Dealing with Restarts

Ideally the code running at the server startup shouldn't be affected by the
apache restart. If however this is not the case, you can use
Apache2::ServerUtil::restart_count.

More Info:  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/server.html