Igor,

Please cc the mod_perl list on all replies.  I'm available for
professional mod_perl consulting offlist, but I don't come cheap :)

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html

> The risks involved are kind of big here. So I want to be safe and have a
> good plan.

Suggest building this side by side with your existing installation.
Suggest testing this out first on your test environment.