On Oct 3, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Aku Kauste <aku.kau...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, obviously this doesn't work and I end up getting "child pid
XXXXX exit signal Segmentation fault (11)" type errors.

Is my aproach completely wrong? What would be the right way to solve
this kind of a problem?

I believe what you're doing should work, but I don't use threads for
anything.  I'd probably fork and put the results in a database table
or file.

If you like the threads API, you might want to take a look at the "forks" module on CPAN. It provides the threads API using fork(), and hence does not have many of the problems that native Perl ithreads have.

Liz