Thanks to all who responded.

It is a development setup so no proxy or load balancer in the mix
I could have sworn I had tested the behaviour in other clients, we use Opera,
so I took the Apache configuration back to bare bones and still had the issue.

Testing with Firefox showed the expected (single call) behaviour.

Fsck, I hate browsers.

Anyway, now to test a simple CGI call and see if the Opera strangeness continues

Thank once again for your help

Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited