Just thought to add:

One of the most interesting uses of IPC::MMA is to create a shared
memory in a PerlPostConfigHandler, and then use it to tie scalars or
arrays or hashes in other modules into the shared memory.

In write-seldom, read-mostly applications like the cache hash in
Image::Size, this can be done without any change to the other module.

cmac