On 05/27/2010 03:04 PM, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Michael Schout <msch...@gkg.net> wrote:
>> My solution involved forking off a watcher process when the server
>> starts up.
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to start a separate daemon for this?

The project this is for has apache's sandboxed for each developer.
Every developer runs their own apache on a port number based on their
UID.  By having apache fork the watcher daemon, I don't have to worry
about which apache the watcher is in charge of.  Also, apache will kill
the watcher when apache is killed, so I do not need to manage the
watcher daemon at all.  Apache takes care of starting and stopping it
for me.

Regards,
Michael Schout