On 02/11/2011 11:01 AM, Hendrik Schumacher wrote:

I didnt have time yet to read Torsten's post (will do later) but I will
take a stab at this question. You are missing the difference between
address space and used memory. Sample extract from /proc/*/smaps:

Size:                884 kB
Rss:                 536 kB
Pss:                  17 kB
Shared_Clean:        536 kB
Shared_Dirty:          0 kB
Private_Clean:         0 kB
Private_Dirty:         0 kB
Referenced:          536 kB
Swap:                  0 kB

In this case the address space has a size of 884 kb. Only 536 kb are used
though (Rss/Referenced). All of this space is shared. As you can see the
difference between 884 kb and 536 kb is not swapped out but just not
allocated.

Interesting. I didn't know that. But I think the questions that Torsten was posing about what would happen if an admin turned off swap while things were running doesn't apply then, right? This memory isn't in swap, it's just not in RAM. So turning off swap won't cause the shared/unshared sizes to blow up, right?

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP