Sorry, false alarm... I had subclassed Apache2::AuthCookieDBI 2.12 and had to do things like this:

*Apache2::AuthCookieDBI::_dbi_connect = sub {

since Apache2::AuthCookieDBI wasn't very subclassable, and with the upgrade to a very nice Apache2::AuthCookieDBI 2.14 my whatever I did up there broke things.

I guess I owe my admin a beer.

Tosh