Hello,

What you're doing is not recommended as you run into namespace issues.

Perl caches files and modules that were loaded in %INC, so if you have files and modules with the same name, only one of them gets loaded. Possibly, as an exercise, if you switch the order of the ORIG and COPY lines in your startup.pl, you'll see the changes you've made in ORIG and not the changes in COPY.

I've made the assumption here that your site is more than just the one base.pm file and both base.pm packages use other packages with the same names.

Suppose your

ORIG::mods::base.pm has "use mods::somepackage"
and
COPY::mods::base.pm has "use mods::somepackage",

with the startup.pl file, Perl will load only the .../perl/COPY/mods/somepackage.pm file.

If however your site is just the base.pm file, and the package declaration is as you've written, my answer is off.

Good luck.

g.