If I remember correctly, Apache2::AuthenNTLM only supports NTLMv1, and recent
versions of Windows require NTLMv2 by default (but apparently you can force it
back to v1 by deploying some policies on the workstations).

About forking the module .. I also considered that option a few years ago;
fixing the bug mentioned above would be convenient, and adapting for NTLMv2
would be great ... but I gave up because it seemed very hard to grasp the logic
and be able to modify it. The only thing I could come up with was
Apache2::AuthenNTLM::Cookie, which keeps the identity in a cookie so that the
NTLM handshake occurs only once ... and therefore you have less messages in
your Apache log.

Another bug with Apache2::AuthenNTLM is that it uses a semaphore for mutual
exclusion; I'm not even sure that this semaphore is really necessary, but
anyway sometimes there is a deadlock and requests have to wait for 30 or 40
seconds without reason.

For the future, the way to go is Kerberos; this is what Microsoft is pushing in
replacement for NTLM.