If you are improving applications, and want to stay compatible to old code, it
is needed to do small steps.
Do it just a little better in any step.
If you introduce new features, in an complex environment you can't do all at
once.
Sometimes adding encryption is not needed, but the decision to encrypt or not
encrypt may change. It is simpler to explain an application, if you say "all
the data is encrypted and stored encrypted on the harddisk, without a breach in
the chain".
The application uses SSL and non-SSL. Adding a encryption adds only a little
bit more security, but it is a step.

It is really annoying to see all these questions, which suggest a complete
rewrite.

Sure, I can do.

--
Deutsche Telekom AG
Seamless ICT Security Infrastructure & Management