In my opinion, this is the correct way.

There are many web applications, whichs polls every few seconds to give the
server a hint, that the client is interested in the answer.
(This way you are able to abort a long_running_whatever.)
On newer applications, JavaScript is used, of course - so you can do what you
like in the meanwhile, without any need to update the page itself.
As soon as the call comes back, you can call an update function to handle the
output.

There are progress bars available too:
http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Progressbar

I know, this is not a complete solution to your question, but just a little
hint.

Greetings,
Alexander

--
Deutsche Telekom AG
Seamless ICT Security Infrastructure & Management