> alexander.elg...@external.t-systems.com wrote:
> > I am pretty shure, I tested the capability of filenames on a Linux (ext2)
> > or Solaris (ufs) filesystem, a long time ago
> > The outcome was, that you can use 254 different characters, except the '\0'
> > and the '/'.

Apple's older pre-Unix-backended MacOS models allowed "/" characters
in filenames.

> > But I agree, it is an annoyance it should be forbidden. ;)
>
> The person who invented that spaces and other unprintable characters were
> allowed in
> filenames and paths should be found, his PC and iPhone should be confiscated,
> he should be
> exiled to an isolated island in the middle of the Arctic Ocean, and he should
> be nominated
> for an IgNobel.

Heheh.  The makers of the Commodore 64 are off-limits because 8-bit
gaming was practically revolutionized by it.  (Yes, that's right,
spaces were permitted in filenames on the Commodore 64, so this
silliness came about before the PC and the Mac gained popularity.)

> The person at Microsoft who decided that "C:\Program Files" was an
> acceptable place to install programs should be sent along as his
> butler.

That really was a ridiculous decision, and lately they've taken it to
new heights by adding yet another "C:/Program Files (x86)/" path that
contains two spaces and parenthesis.

Given that "C:/Documents and Settings/" has since been changed to
"C:/Users/" I'll take that as a sign of hope that a "C:/Programs/"
directory may be on the horizon (but I'm not holding my breath).

Randolf Richardson - rand...@inter-corporate.com
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
http://www.inter-corporate.com/