On 4/23/2013 1:08 PM, Ryan Perry wrote:
I've considered doing it daily via cron, but if there's a way to do when
I hit this error I'd prefer that.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Jim Albert <j...@netrition.com
<mailto:j...@netrition.com>> wrote:

    On 4/23/2013 11:49 AM, Ryan Perry wrote:

        I've been plagued by some bug that makes a call to LWP stop working:
        "Can't connect to 192.168.0.222 (Bad hostname)"

        I haven't been able to figure out why, but a simple httpd
        restart fixes
        it for a day or 2.

        Since I can't figure out a real fix, I'm wondering if there is a
        way for
        me to automatically restart httpd whenever the bug hits.  Maybe
        whenever
        it appears in the httpd-error.log?  What are my options?

    Without more to go on to the actual cause of the problem...

    Restarting apache daily isn't a bad idea in general if even just a
    graceful restart.
    kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/httpd.pid`
    which I believe should be safe any time of day.

    If a complete restart, maybe early morning off hours assuming your
    server requires a high degree of availability?

    Jim

Try to remember not to top-post, please. It makes it hard for others to read the thread.

I don't know, but it kind of has a DNS feel to it, possibly. Nothing concrete to go on, just past experience when I see network and I know the network is fine... I think DNS. Maybe reverse resolution of your private IP address space assuming your requests are being made to/from private addresses? That's really just a shot in the dark because we don't have much to go on. I'd start thinking network and DNS, put in some debug, see what if anything is timing out.

Jim