Dechunked means it strips out the lines containing metadata about the next
block of raw data. The metadata is just the length of the next block of data.
Imagine a chunked stream is like having partial content length headers embedded
in the data stream.

The http filter embedded in httpd takes care of the metadata so you don't have
to parse the stream yourself. $r->read will always provide only the raw data in
a blocking call, until the stream is finished in which case it should return 0
or an error code.  Check the mod perl docs, or better the source, to see if the
semantics are more like perl's sysread or more like read.

Sent from my iPhone